CLV is committed to addressing Environment, Social, and Governance issues across our business, on university campuses around the world, and in the communities that we interact with.
As provider of accommodation to over 28,000 students in more than 50 different villages, our unique platform to focus on and advocate for ESG nurtures change leadership and forward thinking, providing innovative solutions for our people, our planet, and our partners.
Our Greenprint for the Future
Introducing our Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) report – our Greenprint for the future. Our annual ESG report is the culmination of all the work we've done across the sustainability space and serves as a public commitment to addressing environmental, social, and governance (ESG) trends across our business. We recognise the importance of these issues to our stakeholders; our residents, our staff, and our University partners. We look forward to providing updates on our progress and achievements in future ESG Reports.
Modern Slavery Statement
We are proud to showcase our approach to Modern Slavery, human rights, and supply chain issues through our 2021 Modern Slavery Statement. CLV partners with more than 4,000 individual suppliers around the world each year and it is our responsibility to ensure that Modern Slavery risks are identified, actioned, and monitored across our own operations and our suppliers’ supply chains. We are committed to refining our approach over time as a critical element of our governance and corporate citizenship strategy.
Griffith University Village Solar
Griffith University Village on the Gold Coast has been identified as a clear opportunity for a rooftop solar installation. We are proud to be advancing with this project to support investment in sustainable infrastructure as well as our partner, Griffith University’s, sustainability goals. Solar will meet 25% of electricity needs, with roof capacity to improve this to almost half of electricity needs in the future.
UK Renewable Electricity
All Villages in the UK will be powered by solar or wind generated electricity purchased from the grid as of September 2021. This is a milestone achievement in embracing the transition to a low carbon world and gives our residents peace of mind when it comes to their impact on the environment; we look forward to arranging similar solutions in Australia and USA.
Keen To Be Green
One of the most important aspects of our ESG strategy is the built environment, and how we can create places to support positive environmental impact and unique social experiences.
New Village developments must be designed and built to:
- Manage environmental, cultural, and community impact from conception to completion
- Keep climate change in mind and emit less or eliminate carbon
- Conserve water during construction and operation
- Enable effective waste reduction and recycling
- Support passive features like comfortable air, lighting, thermal, and acoustic quality
- Maintain connection to nature
- Promote physical and mental wellbeing of residents
- Provide accessible accommodation to a diverse population.
Many of our Villages have been recognised for being examples of sustainable real estate, and how the built environment can lead the way in connecting place, people, and planet.
UNSW Village - University of New South Wales – Australia
- Sustainability Award – Randwick Council Urban Design Awards 2010
- Sustainable Development – Urban Development Institute of Australia 2010
Student Village Melbourne – University of Melbourne – Australia
- 5 Star Green Star Design & As Built 2016
Fife Park Apartments – St Andrews University – United Kingdom
- BREEAM Excellent New Construction 2017
Powell and Whitehorn Halls – St Andrews University – United Kingdom
- BREEAM Excellent New Construction 2018
Goldsmiths Student Village – University of London, Goldsmiths – United Kingdom
- BREEAM Excellent New Construction 2017
Peel Park Quarter – Salford University – United Kingdom
- BREEAM Excellent New Construction 2015
Prince Consort Village – Royal College of Music – United Kingdom
BREEAM Excellent New Construction 2016
Durham Mount Oswald (John Snow College and South College) – Durham University – United Kingdom
- BREEAM Excellent New Construction 2020